Hotel Le Clarisse
Of the ancient church, now part of the palace, remains the beautiful mullioned windows with spiral column, a poly-lobed window and the great saint stone arch, covered with frescoes depicting stylized flowers and swirls.
The furniture were transported to the nearby church of S. Elia the Prophet, while the property, offered for sale by the government, was bought by Carlo De Luca of the Marquis of Lizzano, with a deed signed November 3, 1812.
The new transformation into a private house brought about a number of structural changes, including the transformation of the church, with the inclusion of a princely staircase on the inside, and the closure of many windows.
The cloister, however, was transformed into a vegetable garden and its arches were walled up.
The building contains important works of art, including an Arab funeral stele of the eleventh century, a seventeenth-century wooden statue of St. Clare, and various coats of arms in stone. Thanks to the precious and strenuous restoration of 1988, the building now known as the Palazzo delle Clarisse has regained the ancient monastic atmosphere.